Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Living Old


A young person always thinks about the next thing to do on the to-do list, waking up for a new day and to be as active as always. But when you become older, you realize that you cannot do the same things you used to do. The young people never think about what’s going to happen to them when that happens, so they don’t even bother thinking about how the elderly deal with their situation. We take for granted that most of the elderly have been working and have been helping this country to grow. This makes me think that I am ageist. I always thought that when my time comes, then I’ll just die happy, but there are so many things to worry about than just that. The video “Living Old” presented me with a lot of questions regarding all these complicated decisions that we have to make. Like deciding if it’s time for you to go, or all the complications that sickness and living older brings.

Last year, my grandfather died, I think he was 80 years old or something like that. He was the first close person to me to die. I really felt hopeless but then I said to myself that live goes on. Ever since I was young I thought that when you died then everything would be okay. But I recently talked to one of my aunts and we were discussing death. She said something that I never thought before. She said that some people, even though they are old, don’t want to die yet because there are so many things that have not been accomplished yet, and they want to do something to help. This has made me think that ageism is wrong and the way I would be against it is to help the elderly accomplish all their goals so that they can rest in peace.

1 comment:

  1. I struggled with whether or not i am an ageist too, because sometimes I don't think about the struggles they go through. But that doesn't mean I dont have respect for them, but sometimes I forget how the elderly really have been working to help our country go, just like any young person has.

    ReplyDelete